What you need:
- 16 oz. jar of grape leaves
- 1 pound chili ground beef (course ground sirloin)
- 1 cup uncooked long grain rice, rinsed several times
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, or to taste
- salt, to taste
- juice of 4 lemons
- 4 tablespoons butter, cut up
- 1 14.5 oz can tomatoes (any kind will do)
Wash grape leaves several times by rinsing in water. Let leaves sit in fresh water and set aside.
Place a tablespoon of the meat mixture on the underside of a grape leaf (the stem should be pointing at you). Roll up egg-roll style. Place stuffed leaves in the pan seam side down. How to roll grape leaves.
Bring to a simmer, cover and cook on low for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
As the stuffed leaves are cooking taste the liquid to see if salt or pepper is needed.
All Done! While making these little guys my mom commented on how similar they are to the Polish stuffed cabbage rolls our family makes. They really are similar.
Just look at all those delicious little stuffed grape leaves. I could gobble them all up! Oh yeah, I did.
Thank you, Bread Lady, for your generosity, friendship and amazing recipes! It's such a joy to cook with you!