Thanks to my mom the quilt is done!
I cut out 24 white 7x7 inch squares, 35 yellow 3x3 inch squares and 58 blue 7x3 inch rectangles. (blue & yellow are the school colors)
The white and blue got sewn together into strips that I took to Trouble's school to steal hand prints from the kids in his class when the teacher wasn't looking (I used blue fabric paint). The hands got labeled with the child's name.
Blue and yellow got sewn together to make more strips.
I put all of the strips together to make the quilt top. In the 3 empty white squares I embroidered the teacher's name, 2nd grade and the year.
I passed the top to my wonderful mother who put the whole thing together (top, batting and back) with her fabulous sewing machine that handles quilts so much better than mine.
PS- Shhhh....Trouble's teacher has no idea what I'm making so keep it on down low- thanks!