What do you do when Trouble hands you a banana? Make banana bread!
This recipe is adapted from a muffin recipe I acquired a few years back when I was looking for a bread to make as a gift. Use up those overripe bananas, they make the best banana bread or ice cream... but that's for another day.
What you need:
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 overripe bananas, mashed
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts (I love pecans)
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon cold butter
- 1/4 cup chopped nuts (did I mention that I love pecans?)
- Mix the 1st 4 ingredients in a bowl, set aside.
- Mix bananas, sugar, egg and butter.
- Stir banana mixture into dry mixture. Don't over mix, just mix until moistened. Fold in nuts.
- Pour into greased 5x9 loaf pan. (I grease the pan with Bakers Joy.)
- Combine first 3 topping ingredients and cut in butter until crumbly. Mix in nuts.
- Sprinkle topping over loaf.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. (smaller pans will require less cooking time)
I made this banana bread on 'low carb night' and Mr.Perfect was not very happy with me.