- 1 pound sliced bread, toasted and cubed (about 10 cups)
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 cup finely chopped celery
- ½ cup minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage (1 teaspoon dried)
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme (1 teaspoon dried)
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- ½ teaspoon black pepper or to taste
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ cup pecans toasted and chopped
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup chicken stock
Melt butter in a large pan.
Add onion and celery to the butter. Cook vegetables until tender, stirring often.
Remove vegetables from heat and stir in parsley, sage, thyme, salt, pepper and nutmeg.
I love fresh herbs in my stuffing!
Add the bread cubes and mix well.
Mix in the pecans and dried cranberries.
Stir in chicken stock, a little at a time, until the stuffing is lightly moist.
Do a little taste check to make sure the seasoning suits your fancy. (but don't eat it all, your family wants some too)
Turn into a shallow buttered baking dish.
Bake in a 350 degree oven until the top has a crust and the stuffing is heated through, about 30-40 minutes.
Trouble almost loves stuffing as much as me. See, he turns into a caveman and has to use his hands to eat it.