- 4 pound box of Arm & Hammer washing soda
- 4 pound box of baking soda
- 4 pound box of Borax laundry booster
- 1 small container of some type of oxyclean
- 3 bars of Fels-Naptha or Zote soap (I used 2 Fels and 1 Zote)
Combine first 4 ingredients in a big bucket, mixing as you go.
Using a cheese grater, grate the soap into the bucket and mix well. I imagine a food processor would also grate the soap well. Doesn't the Fels-Naptha totally looks like cheese?!
Done! I put some detergent in an old clear cookie jar next to my washer. The scooper that came with the oxyclean holds about 2 tablespoons, that's how much soap I add to a load of clothes.
I'd like to experiment with different kinds of soap like my favorite... Grandma's Lye Soap. I'll let you know how that goes.